Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A new niche--Wattpad

Hello again, everyone! It's been a while, so I apologize for seeming to go M.I.A

Get back here right now!


As a matter of fact, I've been doing some things that have made me feel very achieved, I'll just cut right to the chase.

A few years ago, when Mana was just a baby and publishing was a new term to me, I was on a website called Wattpad. If you don't know what this amazing site is it's a place for readers and writers alike to gather to do just about anything! You can write your own stories and read others, all for free! Anytime you want (with their Wattpad app)! What seems like ages ago, I began uploading chapters on there--just to see if anyone would be interested. (and when I say ages ago, I'm talking about the very first, not very well written version of Mana :/) I began receiving feedback and people actually supported it! It was amazing!

Then Mana was published about a year later, after going through the infamous query process, and I took Mana down. What a sad decision for me. I wasn't that I had to take it down, I just felt that I had finally attained my ultimate dream and I didn't feel a need for it anymore.

I had abandoned all the prospects and friends I made there...

That was back in 2011 before Mana was published in Fall 2012. A year or so after publishing, it weighed heavy on me that even after all that time, I still hadn't found an audience; Mana was just collecting dust. Wattpad came across my mind again. Not just for exposure, but for that really amazing feeling people get when they connect with their audience. I figured why not, and began uploading chapters of Mana. It garnered 300 reads after a week of being up there and I felt a smile cross my face. I was reaching people, more importantly my audience.

Wattpad has this statement:
"Our readers spend over 2 billion minutes on Wattpad every month. Every minute Wattpad connects more than 10,000 readers with a new story from some of the thousands that are being added to our library each day. Readers can collect stories into reading lists, vote for their favourites, and share and comment with friends and writers. Wattpad is also available as an iOS and Android app, and over 70% of our readers enjoy their stories using a mobile device, even when offline!"

Most of these readers are young adults, so this place is nothing more than perfect for Mana and I! After the first week, a rare opportunity was presented to me. Wattpad wanted me as a feature author and in just two days of accepting, my reads went from 300 to 4,500. I've gotten many votes as well, but the most important part to me is I get that chance to interact with who is reading, without any pressure of asking for reviews in the standard author world. I'm sure this exposure has gained me sales, but that pales in comparison to finally building a platform!

Interesting things are happening over at Wattpad and I have been there faithfully. Do you Wattpad? Follow me on my adventures @AshTensei and give Mana a read, for free! If you write young adult or read it, this is probably where you want to be. I will pop in at the blog, but I'm guaranteed you will find me on Wattpad :)

Mana on Wattpad
Profile on Wattpad


1 comment:

Share your thoughts!